In 1977 the Wellington Exhibition was opened in part of the Stables to depict, in graphic terms, the life and times of Arthur, the first Duke of Wellington. It houses a collection of momentoes of his long life as a soldier and statesman in the service of his country, including maps, weapons and caricatures. The magnificent, richly ornamental funeral carriage was made of bronze cast from melted down French cannons captured at Waterloo. It was designed and constructed by a number of designers and craftsmen over a period of two months and was built in four sections in only 18 days.
In 1861 it was lodged in the Crypt of St Paul’s where it remained until 1981 when it was moved to Stratfield Saye on permanent loan.